Get to know some of the key women who have overcome prejudice to make an impact in Astronomy. Some of the women covered in this free 10-page PDF download include:
- Katherine Johnson and how her work as a “human computer” earned her NASA achievement awards and landed her on lists of both women’s and African Americans’ success stories.
- Mary Jackson, an energetic young woman who smashed barriers in her advance from computer to engineer.
- Dorothy Vaughan, one of NASA’s first black managers, who ran the segregated West Area Computing Division.
- Vera Rubin and her discovery of dark matter, one of the most fundamental discoveries of the past century in astrophysics.
- Emmy Noether and her never-ending impact on algebra and physics due to her theorem on the relationship between symmetries and conservation law.