A peculiar jewel of the north
Astronomers have observed M82 for centuries, but this "irregular" galaxy in Ursa Major still commands their attention.
January 24, 2008
|On New Year's Eve 1774, astronomer Johann Elert Bode entered into his catalog a description of a peculiar cigar-shaped galaxy in Ursa Major the Big Bear.|
You are currently not logged in. This article is only available to Astronomy magazine subscribers.
Already a subscriber to Astronomy magazine?
If you are already a subscriber to Astronomy magazine you must log into your account to view this article. If you do not have an account you will
need to regsiter for one. Registration is FREE and only takes a couple minutes.
Non-subscribers, Subscribe TODAY and save!
Get instant access to subscriber content on Astronomy.com!
- Access our interactive Atlas of the Stars
- Get full access to StarDome PLUS
- Columnist articles
- Search and view our equipment review archive
- Receive full access to our Ask Astro answers
- BONUS web extras not included in the magazine
- Much more!