February 27, 2012
|The “tap” that causes Earth’s axis to precess is gravity from the Sun and Moon and, to a much lesser extent, the planets. Gravity alone, however, won’t do the trick. Earth has a slight equatorial bulge, and it’s this bulge that gets the gravitational tug. |
You are currently not logged in. This article is only available to Astronomy magazine subscribers.
Already a subscriber to Astronomy magazine?
If you are already a subscriber to Astronomy magazine you must log into your account to view this article. If you do not have an account you will
need to regsiter for one. Registration is FREE and only takes a couple minutes.
Non-subscribers, Subscribe TODAY and save!
Get instant access to subscriber content on Astronomy.com!
- Access our interactive Atlas of the Stars
- Get full access to StarDome PLUS
- Columnist articles
- Search and view our equipment review archive
- Receive full access to our Ask Astro answers
- BONUS web extras not included in the magazine
- Much more!