November 23, 2009
So space can exist without regard to what fills it. That said, it is not clear that dark energy is a "property of space."
Cosmic recipe. Normal or “baryonic” matter (atoms) makes up about 4.6 percent of the present universe. The rest consists of about 23 percent dark matter and 72 percent dark energy.
Photo by WMAP Science Team
You are currently not logged in. This article is only available to Astronomy magazine subscribers.
Already a subscriber to Astronomy magazine?
If you are already a subscriber to Astronomy magazine you must log into your account to view this article. If you do not have an account you will
need to regsiter for one. Registration is FREE and only takes a couple minutes.
Non-subscribers, Subscribe TODAY and save!
Get instant access to subscriber content on Astronomy.com!
- Access our interactive Atlas of the Stars
- Get full access to StarDome PLUS
- Columnist articles
- Search and view our equipment review archive
- Receive full access to our Ask Astro answers
- BONUS web extras not included in the magazine
- Much more!