Podcast: Night-sky targets for August 28-September 4, 2009
This week, the star Thuban makes a great object for beginning observers, while the Hercules Cluster and the Veil Nebula provide nice targets for telescope owners.
August 27, 2009
Each week, Astronomy magazine Senior Editor Michael Bakich, a master at explaining how to observe, posts a podcast about three objects or events you can see in the sky.
Thuban in the constellation Draco
In each episode, Michael highlights:
- One object you can see without any optical aid
- One object you can see with a small (4-inch) telescope
- One object you can see with at least an 8-inch telescope
Targets for August 28-September 4, 2009
Naked eye: Thuban
Small telescope: The Hercules Cluster
8-inch or larger telescope: The Veil Nebula
The weekly podcast and complete transcript are available to registered members of Astronomy.com. The podcast remains FREE, so please create an account below to make sure you don't miss an episode!
Registration is FREE and takes only a few minutes to complete. Registered members get access to these great online features:
- Participate in our forums and online community
- Comment on articles
- Receive our e-mail newsletter
- Manage your account online
- Much more!
Login to view this article
Haven't registered yet?